Wednesday 20 June 2012

Make a Potholder in Five Minutes Tutorial



In all honesty, I feel inadequate to post tutorials because I consider myself a novice. But here is a simple one about potholders. Potholders are great! Everyone needs one (or ten) so they make cute gifts and they're quick enough to satisfy the "I need to create something now" craving.

Here is my tutorial!

You'll need:

Two fabrics.
Scissors.
Thread.
Fleece or something similar for the middle part.
Your sewing machine.


1. Measure your fabrics and cut to the same size. I did 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches. Do the same with your fleece cutting two squares. We use fleece blankets from Ikea. They're cheap!


2. Layer them like this: fleece, fabric, fabric, fleece. The two fabric's faces should be facing each other.


3. Sew, but be sure to leave a space to turn it out later. I started sewing with white thread but ran out halfway so finished off with blue. Can you see the gap?


4. Snip your corners, and turn out.




 5. To keep the fabric in place, I used my sewing machine to make two straight lines.



6. Hand stitch the gap to close it.


Finished! Easy! 



Depending on your fabric choice, these would also be suitable as a guy gift. Men cook too! ;)

With a bit more time, you could also do a simple shape. This one was pretty quick to make too and I hand embroidered the hearts.



Thanks for stopping by! x


No comments:

Post a Comment