Tuesday 11 June 2013

An Easy Service Project Girls Skirt Pattern, Less Than Ten Steps!



Many years ago when I was a senior in high school I remember doing a large service project. The project was part of a Young Womens program at my church. I was to think of something to do, get others involved and just do it.

My mom had helped me start a bunch of quilts and then I took it to school where my Home Ec class helped in finishing the quilts. I donated those quilts to charity. 

To be honest, I don't remember the details of the project!

Anyhow, I know there are thousands of young women taking part in the same program as I did when I was in high school and this would be a great project!

I chose this skirt in particular because it is the EASIEST and FASTEST skirt I have made! Another great thing is the cost- it's super cheap. I bought 3 yards of 3/4in non-roll elastic for $1.77, it has lasted me 7 skirts. Also, each toddler size skirt is less than 1/2 yard of fabric. Which can get pretty cheap when buying fabrics already on sale!

Taken from the ever inspired pattern HERE. I have used this for several of these skirts I have made.

Little girls skirt size 3T.

This is what I did:

1. Measure your fabric 32 inches in width, 14 inches in height.

2. Serge or zig zag the top and bottom seams.


3. Fold up your bottom served/zig zagged and straight stitch for a finished bottom hem.

4. Fold the top down about 1 1/2 inches or enough to get your elastic through. I use 1inch no roll elastic. Straight stitch.


5. Serge or zig zag the two side edges together but stop where the elastic tunnel starts.


6. Using a large safety pin, thread your elastic through. I actually don't measure my elastic, I leave it all on until I know exactly where I want to cut.

7. Cut and zig zag stitch the two elastic ends together.


8. Fold the fabric so it all tucks in nicely, one into the other, rough edges inside. Straight stitch closed.



Sometimes I find a gap where some stitches did not meet, I just zig zag it and it's good to go.

There you have it! In less than ten steps, and hardly anytime at all, you have made a lovely skirt!


Thanks for stopping by!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment